Microsoft continued to strengthen its support for Java developers both in the cloud and its popular, open source, cross-platform code editor, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), with new updates to Azure Spring Cloud from the service. Spring Boot achieved Generally Available (GA) status last September, with the regular monthly Java update in VS Code.
Azure Spring Cloud is a fully managed service built and operated jointly by Microsoft and VMware. It is designed to help developers build modern microservice models for Spring Boot and Steeltoe .NET Core applications by eliminating standard code and accelerating application development in the cloud. Spring Boot is an open source Java-based framework used to develop stand-alone, production-grade spring-based applications; Steeltoe is an open source project to develop cloud native .NET microservice applications.
Although .NET and Java are often characterized as competing alternatives, Microsoft has been catering more and more to users of languages other than its flagship C #, including Java and Python, among others.
Since joining the GA in September, Azure Spring Cloud has received many updates, including:
- Seven more regions were enabled, making Azure Spring Cloud available in 18 regions across Asia Pacific, Australia, Canada, China, Europe, India, Korea, United Arab Emirates, UK United and United States.
- Full APM functionality is delivered through a Java Process Agent for Application Insights, an extensible application performance management (APM) service.
Specific features include:
- Visibility into all applications with distributed tracing, including exploitation request paths from origins to destinations and information about which applications are performing well and which are bottlenecks.
- Logs, exceptions, and metrics in the context of call paths provide meaningful and actionable information to accelerate root cause analysis.
Overview of Application Dependencies – Database SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, JDBC, MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, JMS, Kafka, Netty / WebFlux, etc.
Performance data for each call in operations exposed by applications, including number of data-like requests, response times, CPU usage and memory.
- Custom metrics easily collected automatically through Micrometer, allowing you to publish custom performance metrics or company-specific metrics and view deeper insights into applications and businesses.
Ability to browse, query and alert on metrics and application logs.
- Secure communication with external resources is provided with the ability to obtain outgoing static public IP addresses from Azure Spring Cloud applications to communicate with things like databases, storage, and key vaults. Since some network environments are protected by firewalls that only allow whitelisted IP addresses to enter internal networks, developers can now, for example, whitelist an Azure Spring Cloud application in azure database to MySQL. “You can explicitly add all outgoing IPs from your Azure Spring Cloud applications. To find out more, click here.
- Azure Spring Cloud Extension for Visual Studio Code: “In addition to feature requests for the Azure Spring Cloud service, we also received requests from developers on how to deploy and manage applications in their familiar environment. You can now use Azure Toolkit for IntelliJ Extension or Azure Spring Cloud for VS Code to quickly build, manage, and deploy applications on Azure Spring Cloud.
Microsoft provided more information about the Azure Spring Cloud extension in its regular monthly Java update in Visual Studio Code.
“The version emphasizes that VS Code is not only good for tasks such as editing, running, debugging and testing, but also provides a seamless end-to-end experience for working with services,” Microsoft said. . “For Java developers on Azure, extensions are also available for other services such as Azure App Services, Azure Functions and many more. ”
Several improvements to testing were also detailed, including three ways to run tests:
Running from Test Explorer: “Test Explorer offers the most comprehensive support for testing. In addition to running cases individually, you can run all tests.
Running from JAVA PROJECT Explorer: “JAVA PROJECT Explorer provides access to all project related features, including testing. You can run tests at the project level or at the individual package or class level.
Running from CodeLens: “CodeLens is a feature vs code that provides context-aware actions through a link next to your code. When VS Code detects the test annotation in the code, it will provide a “Test Run” link and a “Test Debug” link next to the annotation for you to quickly place an action without jumping out of your way. coded.
Coincidentally, the vs code dev team recently shed light on their efforts to meet long-standing requests for improved testing support. “Each test implementation has a different set of features, user interface and idioms,” the team said. “Because there is no sanctioned approach to testing in VS Code, extension developers tend to do tailor-made implementations, as we have seen in Python and Java language extensions. Ideally, as in debugging, a VS Code user would have roughly the same experience as between projects and languages.
Other new goodies included in the January 2021 update of Java in VS Code improve access to test reports and referFile in launch.json for debugging.
While there is no roadmap for what’s to come in Java in VS Code, Microsoft has indicated its future plans for Azure Spring Cloud:
Managed Virtual Network: Enables users to control inbound and outbound network communications for Azure Spring Cloud and allows Azure Spring Cloud to interact with on-premises data center systems or Azure services in virtual networks.
Auto Scale: Automates the upscaling or downscaling of the application based on load or schedule, providing cost efficiency and better performance.
E2E TLS: Allows users to securely encrypt and transmit sensitive data between applications or from the application to the backend.
Azure RBAC for Spring Cloud Config Servers / Services Managed Registry: Allows users to authenticate with Azure Active Directory (AAD) token to access the Spring Cloud server / service registry managed by Azure Spring Cloud service.
Integration with third-party APM solutions: Enables an out-of-box experience with other APM tools such as New Relic, App Dynamics, and Dynatrace for Azure Spring Cloud applications.
“We are excited about the improved developer experience we are building for the Azure Spring Cloud service,” Microsoft said. “Your feedback was instrumental in shaping these features, keep the feedback coming. “